Tuesday, July 2, 2013

"Domestic Goddess" Part 2: Attempt at Freezer Meals!

 

I am pretty proud of myself. I set a goal of 25 freezer meals to make before baby gets here and I officially have 10 of them done. Lets face it once my mom and mom in law leave I am not going to want to be cooking every night. I need easy peasy things that are kinda/sorta healthy (ok some are not at all but they will nourish a new mama and family). I will post the links for the first 5 that I've made and let you know what I did. I am not good at taking step by step pictures so there won't be many... :)

The first EIGHT meals I put together I just did in one big swoop a loop (some of these meals were posted in Part 1 of the "Domestic Goddess" series)

Tater Tot Casserole

Easy Fried Rice (I used ex lean ground beef)

Chicken Pot Pie

Honey Lime Chicken (this one is healthy yay I subbed agave for the honey)

I made two of each of the above meals. Then I decided to use one of the fried rices for dinner that night, and it was really good. We will see how it tastes when it's been frozen though (fingers crossed) so I had seven freezer meals. After reading all the recipes I checked what I already had to use. I had most of the meat I needed already so I just needed to get the other ingredients. I went to the dollar store to get the foil pans for the casserole and also bought freezer bags there which I will NEVER do again (the freezer bags) they were so flimsy I had to double up.

 

and I forgot to put a bunch of the other stuff I used out...FAILb nb

STEPS:

  1. Check your cabinets and see what you have and what you need.
  2. Make a grocery list and go shopping (duh)
  3. When you're ready to assemble them get everything out (I put frozen stuff and meat back in the freezer/fridge until I needed it.) For the meals in bags label and write instructions if needed first before filling (also include date).
  4. Go over your recipes and start. I started with browning the ex lean ground beef which I needed for two of the recipes. The night before I roasted the chicken breasts in the oven for the pot pies (then I shredded the next day). I also made the rice for the fried rice the night before.
  5. Once all the meat/rice was prepared I started to put everything together. I started with the honey lime chicken since it was the easiest to put together. Then I did the tater tot casserole, then the fried rice and lastly the pot pies.
  6. Make sure you get the air out of the bags so they don't freezer burn. Also the pans for the casseroles I wrapped with foil all around three times. Then labeled them.
  7. These are good for about 3 months in the freezer. I have a chest/deep freezer in the garage that I put them in.

The next three meals I did today. I made a total of four but used one for dinner. These are called "dump meals." You basically just put all the ingredients in a freezer bag and voila! These took me about 15 minutes score!

French Onion Chicken

Cranberry Chicken

We had the french onion chicken for dinner and it was good! I really don't know how helpful this post was but I am feeling more confident with getting more meals put together before the big day! Do you all have any freezer friendly meals you'd like to share? Please let me know!!

Also, I won't be posting much the rest of the week. I may do a link up on Friday but we are going out of town for the 4th! Leaving tomorrow! So I hope everyone has a fantastic/fabulous/crazy Fourth of July! <3

 

 

 

2 comments:

  1. You are AWESOME girl! As I've mentioned before, cooking is not my forte. But that is so wise to have meals prepped before the baby gets here. I'll have to keep this in mind when Baby Watts #2 comes around.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Will send you an email w/ an easy recipe for a side dish. I use it for potlucks b/c it's always a huge hit.

    ReplyDelete