Friday, February 24, 2012

How to make your own Almond Flour!

So I was going to try a new low carb, protein bread recipe and noticed one of the ingredients was almond flour. So I headed to the store and saw that it was $9.92 for a TINY bag! I thought NO WAY am I spending that. I looked at the ingredients and it was just "blanched almonds." So, I knew I could make it myself. I buy the HUGE bags of raw almonds at Costco for about $10.00, and already had some. I used about 3/4 cup almonds to make a 1/2 cup of almond flour.

What you will Need:
  • A food processor OR clean electric coffee bean grinder grinder
  • flour sifter (clean/new) if using coffee grinder
  • raw almonds (no salt or anything on them).
All you need to do is put your almonds in your processor and go! Mine took about 90 seconds to turn into flour. Do not go too long or the almonds will turn into almond butter (yum!). If you are using a coffee grinder pulse for about 20-30 seconds and check then pulse again. Once it is ground pretty well sift the product and grind any almond parts that don't make it through the sifter. And Voila! Easy almond flour. This is how it should look:



Almond flour is great if you are on a gluten free or low carb diet! It has less calories than whole wheat flour, and has healthy fats that help lower cholesterol among other things! You can sub this for flour in many different recipes. I will be posting a recipe soon (once I get a chance to make it), that uses almond flour!

*Make sure to store your almond flour in the fridge if making it in advance*

No comments:

Post a Comment