Sunday, August 19, 2012

One dinner THREE different meals

I never knew how hard Mommy's worked until I had a child of my own...I think most of us Mama's feel that way. So Mom if you're reading this...THANK YOU for all you do and have done for me! Anyway, I think my son is the pickiest eater on the PLANET! I can count everything he will eat on two hands...for real! It can be so frustrating but I have to remember things will change he will someday be eating a whole large pizza to himself and wanting more food. With that in mind, every night I try to get him to eat what we eat but it usually doesn't fly so I make him something else. Now, in addition to that I am eating much healthier but my husband isn't so some nights I prepare a different meal for him after so many nights of him "HAVING" to eat healthier with me. This doesn't mean I'm going to blow my weight loss and eat something "unhealthy" so I am making THREE different meals on nights like this. Let me tell you it SUCKS balls big time. But I do it for my family because I'm a mom and we just LOVE to please our families....right??? :)

So here is how it goes in my house...this may help you a little bit when you are planning meals out (different post I will do a different time).  When I did this it was Saturday the night before on Friday we had chicken, rice and veggies. I made extra chicken so I would have some to eat for dinner the next night, which was super easy. Next I bought these really convenient whole grain brown rice microwaveable cups. That would be one of my sides for my dinner the next night. My hubby wanted some comfort food so we "made up" a recipe together (see recipe below.) I had to make his dinner all the way through, I didn't short cut anything. My hubby's recipes had mashed potatoes in it which SOMETIMES my son will eat so I thought that could be his side. I then made him a turkey hot dog because basically that is one of the only meats he likes. So his dinner is done.

Here are all three of our dinners. It only took about 45 minutes from start to finish (including baking time) to get these all together. Please don't judge on my son and hubby not eating veggies they do a lot!

Now, onto my hubby's dinner. We made this up off of a recipe we make called "beef cups." Last night Ian said why don't you make beef cups but make them like little shepherds pies? I thought good idea babe...but not very healthy. Here is how I put them together:

You will need:
  • refrigerated biscuits
  • lean ground beef
  • frozen peas
  • BBQ sauce (I used sweet baby rays)
  • mashed potatoes
  • shredded cheese

1. Take a roll of refrigerated biscuits and press them into a muffin tin. 

2. Brown lean ground beef, once cooked add frozen peas and some BBQ sauce about 3/4 cup. 

3. Put beef/peas mixture into biscuit cups. Then place in oven on 350 for about 10-12 minutes. While baking make up some instant mashed potatoes (or make real ones but start them earlier). After they have baked 10-12 minutes pull out of oven and put mashed potatoes on top and shredded cheese. Place back in oven and bake another 3-6 minutes. 

4. So here is the final product. You want the biscuits fully cooked and golden brown around the edges. 

These looked so good to me! I did try a bite of my husbands to make sure they were good! Classic comfort food changed up a little! Plus, he has left overs for lunch for a day or two!



Lastly, here is a picture of my son eating pudding since he didn't like his dinner and decided to eat Mommy's brown rice for his meal! Too cute and TOO spoiled!










No comments:

Post a Comment